Pumpkins encompass an enchanting element in the fairy-tale realm – conjuring images of dreams coming true. At Camp Kuzuma, not only do pumpkins represent the reveries of magic, they also hold our delicious Oxtail Stew! With the gift of time, this is the perfect dish to simmer over a 3 – 5 hour period – either on a weber on your balcony, a fire in your garden, or in a pot on your stove if gardens and pumpkins are not readily available! However, magic always is, and the below Camp Kuzuma Oxtail Stew recipe will make your dinner dreams come true!
Ox-Tail Stew Ingredients:
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup cake flour
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 baby marrows
2 carrots, peeled and cut into thick rounds
3 celery sticks, chopped
2 cups quality good red wine
1 x 500ml organic beef stock
1 x 410g canned tomato
1 x 50g sachet tomato paste
3 tablespoons orange marmalade (The Secret Ingredient)
- Take a big pumpkin, cut the top open and extract the pips. Keep the top part as the lid for later.
- Add in all chopped vegetables.
- Sprinkle the flour on the meat, lightly fry till brown – add all spices.
- Combine the flavoured meat and with vegetables inside the pumpkin.
- Put the ‘lid’ on and close tight with tinfoil.
- Put it on the fire for 3 + hours, shifting the pumpkin around so all sides receive heat.
- Open up and serve with coconut rice on the side.
Coconut Rice Ingredients:
2 cups Jasmine Rice
1.5 cups of water
1 cup of canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt
- Rinse and drain rice in cold water.
- Place in a pot with water, coconut milk, and salt. Bring to the boil.
- Stir and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cover the pot lightly with a lid.
- Continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Remove Pot from the heat and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Eyes closed, take a bite and allow yourself to be transported to a bush dinner under the stars at Camp Kuzuma, where true magic lies.